Studying in Germany
A university education in Germany offers long-term prospects and additionally qualifies for the international job market. People who would like to study in Germany can apply to university if certain conditions are fulfilled, which we would like to explain in the following.
As a rule, the same conditions apply for refugees who would like to start a university education in Germany as for all other prospective students from abroad, i.e. there are no specific provisions based on the refugee status.
University entrance qualification
- The application for a study program in Germany requires a so-called Hochschulzugangsberechtigung (HZB - university entrance qualification). As a rule, this is a school-leaving qualification equivalent to the standard of the German "Abitur".
- First information whether your school certificates from your home country can be recognized is given by the Campus Office.
- Please note: Each university follows a case by case approach and independently decides on the respective recognition.
- Are my certificates sufficient for studying in Germany?
You can check your educational background and whether you meet the requirements for admission on the DAAA database on admission. On anabin you find out if your former university is recognized in Germany or not.
If your research shows that you do not have a direct university entrance qualification in Germany, we will be happy to provide you with information on which paths you can take in order to study (e.g. Studienkolleg).
- For further questions regarding this topic please contact us at email@example.com.
In order to start your studies as a prospective student from abroad, advanced knowledge of the German language has to be demonstrated in most of our study programs. The following study programs are taught in English and therefore it is only required to provide a proof of English language skills for application:
Studying at HSHL
On its two ultramodern campuses in Hamm and Lippstadt, Hamm-Lippstadt University of Applied Sciences offers practice- and market-oriented degree courses with a focus on technical and engineering areas, which lead to bachelor's and master's degrees. Moreover, a range of studies in economic sciences is also available.
Principally, refugees at the HSHL are subject to the same university entrance criteria as foreign students.
Bachelor’s or Master’s programs
People aiming at professional studies should take note of the following information:
- Refugees can take up their studies at HSHL if their university entrance qualification is recognized and if they are able to demonstrate advanced knowledge of the German language.
- For our bachelor’s degree courses, you can always apply for the winter term starting every September.
- The application period for a winter term starts in May and ends on 15 July of any year.
- If the desired university place is subject to admission restrictions (NC procedures), which means that only a certain number of places is assigned, then foreign students are taken into account in advance within the respective quota for non-German students.
- Costs: so-called semester fees are charged for a study program. These fees are determined every year. Further information is available on the German website.
- All queries concerning admission and application can directly be resolved with the colleagues at the Campus Office:
Recognition of certificates
- Certificates are checked individually for recognition.
- Please note that the recognition of certificates can only be done during the regular application period, i.e. from May until mid-July of any year.
- All queries concerning recognition can directly be resolved with the colleagues at the Campus Office:
Knowledge of the German language
Very good knowledge of the German language is an important precondition for studies at the HSHL, and admission to studies can only be granted after presenting the appropriate evidence.
The following language exams are acknowledged at the HSHL:
- Deutsches Sprachdiplom der KMK (Level 2) - Language Certificate of the Education Ministers’ Conference
- DSH certificate (graduation with at least DSH 2)
- TestDaF (at least level TDN 4 in all four examination parts)
- Examination by a Studienkolleg – A preparatory college to determine the suitability of foreign applicants for admission to studies at scientific universities in Germany.
- Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom des Goethe-Instituts (Goethe-Certificate C2)
- Telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule
Our Language Service offers a range of language study courses for our enrolled students.
However, language skills for university access can be acquired outside the university.
Language schools located nearby can, for example, be found via the DAAD website: DAAD language courses »
- Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG): Students with foreign nationality are entitled to benefits according to the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG), if they are allowed to stay in Germany for a long period or have been living in Germany for a long time.
- All details concerning the receipt of BAföG benefits can be directly obtained from the responsible student union (Studierendenwerk).
- The DAAD homepage provides information on possibilities to finance studies through a scholarship.
- Another possibility to support refugees is, for example, provided by the University Guarantee Funds. This institution offers refugees with a safe prospect of permanent residence the possibility to apply for a scholarship and obtain financial support.
On its two ultramodern campuses in Hamm and Lippstadt, Hamm-Lippstadt University of Applied Sciences offers practice- and market-oriented degree courses with a focus on technical and engineering areas, which lead to bachelor and master degrees. Moreover, a range of studies in economic sciences is also available.
A very simple and uncomplicated possibility to attend lectures is the so-called guest auditor program (Gasthörerschaft). It provides the opportunity to attend individual courses, learn the German language more quickly and get a first-hand impression of what studying at a German university is like. The first semester is free of charge.
Guest auditor program
- People who fled their country are granted the opportunity to apply for the guest auditor program at any time.
It is granted regardless of existing capacities.
- No special requirements need to be met, i.e. certificates and language skills are not checked beforehand.
- Guest auditors can participate in single courses in a selected degree course and have their participation certified.
- There is, however, no right to take an examination.
- All queries regarding admission and application can be directly clarified with colleagues at the Campus Office: