Go to main menu, to content, to homepage, to myHSHL

Hamm-Lippstadt University of Applied Sciences


Choose language

Move to myHSHL

Frequently asked questions

Enrollment | Financing | Health insurance | Living

Find out more about how to prepare for your studies in Germany

General questions

Enrollment and application

Studying at HSHL

  • When does the semester start? When do the lectures start?

    You can find all dates at a glance here.

  • When does my preferred degree program start?

    The starting date varies from year to year. For the next semester, you will find all important dates here. Before the winter semester, optional preparatory courses are often held in the bachelor's degree programs. Participation in these preparatory courses is highly recommended in order to establish contacts, for example. They usually start 2-3 weeks before the lectures begin.

  • Will there be introductory events for first-semester students?

    Yes! For example, the General Student Counseling offers lectures and workshops to prepare you for your studies. In addition, other welcome events are available for you, for example from the International Office, so that you can get to know your new university, your teachers, and your fellow students.

  • Are the introductory events obligatory?

    The introductory events, such as the ceremonial welcome for first-semester students or the welcome for the degree program on campus, are not obligatory but very important: Here you will find important information and tips on starting your studies so that you are optimally prepared for your first weeks at the Hamm-Lippstadt University of Applied Sciences (HSHL).

  • I was unable to attend the introductory events. Where can I get the information I need?

    We prepare handouts with important information on starting your studies. As soon as these are ready, they will be available for download here. If you have any questions about starting your studies, you can also contact the General Student Counseling at studienberatung@hshl.de.

  • Where can I get my student ID card?

    You will receive your student ID card digitally via the student account ("Studienkonto").

  • Where and when do I get my semester ticket?

    The semester fee includes a so-called NRW semester ticket, which you can generate online as a PDF file and print out yourself.

  • Where can I get information about apartments?

    You can find information about accommodation on our website.

  • How do I compose my study plan?

    The curriculum is published every semester on myHSHL. How to find your personal plan there is explained during the introductory events.

  • Where can I find the regulations or the module handbook for my degree program?

    All regulations valid at Hamm-Lippstadt University of Applied Sciences can be found on our German website in the Official Announcements section.

    On the page of your degree program, you will find the download links for the corresponding module handbook and examination regulations on the right-hand side. Please note, if you are studying a program taught in German, you will find these documents on the German program website only.

  • How and when do I register for exams?

    The registration periods for the winter and summer semesters can be found under "All semester dates".

    Registration for exams is only possible via the Campus Office Online via myHSHL.

  • Studies structures (semester structure, methods of examination)?

    Two semesters per year

    At German universities, the academic year is divided into two semesters. Most universities offer one summer and one winter semester. A semester consists of two parts: the lecture period during which the courses take place and the lecture-free period (the semester break). Click here to find out when the semesters at HSHL start.

    Courses and lectures

    There are various types of courses and lectures at German universities:

    • In lectures, a professor talks about a specific topic.
    • In seminars, the contents are worked out in conversations and discussions between the professor and the students.
    • In tutorials, the contents of a lecture or seminar are repeated and deepened.

    There are different methods of examination. Which one will end the module is specified in the module manual . These can be either course minutes (written summaries of the results of a recent course or internships), written examinations, presentations (short lectures on a particular topic), seminar papers (written reports on a given topic), and oral examinations.

© 2023 Hamm-Lippstadt University of Applied Sciences